- Clarke County, Alabama. December 3, 1857. - January 25, 1858.
- Court: Petition
- Salutation: To the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Alabama
A slave sentenced to be hanged 17 April 1855 escaped from the Clark County jail. While chasing the black man and three white men who broke jail about the same time, the sheriff "sustained a considerable loss in the way of fees and actual expenses." He was able to capture the black man and two of the white men. He seeks compensation for his expenses.
- Number of petition pages: 3
- Related documents: Expense Account, John R. Bumpers, March 1855; Report of Committee on Propositions and Grievances, 25 January 1858; Act for the Relief of John R. Bumpers, 25 January 1858
- Pages of related documents: 5
11 people are documented within petition 10185702
Or you may view all people.
Repository: Alabama Department of Archives and History, Montgomery, Alabama
- Records of the Alabama Secretary of State, Legislative Bills and Resolutions