- Kent County, Delaware. filing started circa 1821.
- Court: Common Pleas
- Salutation: To the honourable the judges of the Court of Common Pleas
Benjamin and Anna Hawkins state by their father and next friend, John Hawkins, that Samuel Cooper, "their pretended master," detains them as slaves. Apprehending that "they are entitled to their freedom," the young persons of color ask that Cooper be summoned "to answer the complaint of your petitioners."
- Number of petition pages: 2
- Related documents: PAR #20382111; Depositions, John Bennett, Betsey Faulkner, John Conner, 4 May 1822; Deposition, Daniel Hill, 9 May 1822; Deposition, Thomas Cooper, 7 December 1822; Deposition, William Bell, 6 May 1822; Deposition, John Burnett, 18 May 1821; Deposition, Ephraim Draper, ca. 1821; Deposition, John Conner, 18 May 1821; Depostion, John Cooper, 4 May 1822; Deposition, William Dill, ca. 1822; Deposition, Ebenezer Barcus, ca. 1822 [Depositions on Reel 2]
- Pages of related documents: 20
11 people are documented within petition 20382110
Or you may view all people.
Repository: Delaware State Archives, Dover, Delaware
- Records of the Court of Common Pleas
- Page: 304-05
- Microfilm: Reel 1