- Scriven County, Georgia. cicra 1821. - circa April 1822.
- Court: Superior
- Salutation: To the Honorable the Superior Court of the county & state aforesaid
Luke H. Smith sues Alexander Douglass for slander and $2,000 in damages. He claims to have maintained a good reputation in his community and among his peers until August 1820, when Douglass, within the presence of others, alleged that the petitioner is "a damned negro." Because of these accusations, Smith contends, he "is very much prejudiced, hurt, & damnified in his good name, fame, credit & reputation." He sues for damages.
- Number of petition pages: 2
- Related documents: PAR #20682115; Subpoena, Alexander Douglass, 1 February 1821; Sheriff's Return, 17 March 1821; Answer, Alexander Douglass, April 1821; Court Record, April Term 1822; Order, ca. 1822
- Pages of related documents: 0
2 people are documented within petition 20682112
Or you may view all people.
Repository: Screven County Courthouse, Sylvania, Georgia
- Records of the Superior Court, Minutes of the Superior Court 1816-1822
- Page: 394-395